Absolutely loved my holiday in Edinburgh, enjoying the sites and sounds of the various festivals. It truly is a fascinating and beautiful city, vividly brought to life in August by the thousands of shows and their lively promoters.
I was a festival/fringe virgin until now and absolutely loved the heady mix of booze, comedy and music. It brings back those lovely, lazy student years.
Well, my highlights of Edinburgh -
- The National Museum of Scotland - great interactive as well as historical stuff (plus see Dolly the Sheep).
- A-team the musical, really.
- Bec Hill - cutesy but fun stand up exploring the nature of super heroes. With free cheese on toast.
- John Robins - excellent stand up, with great observations on relationship breakdown. Warning - your girlfriend will want to take him home and look after him
- Book Festival - meet authors, buy books, listen to readings - great!!!
Marcus Brigstocke - "To the people who've got iPhones: you just bought one, you didn't invent it!"
The best (and worst) fringe gags are here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8216991.stm