Thursday, October 26, 2006

Google's Custom Search Engine

Also out this week, yet another new product from the Googleplex, the custom search engine.

How does that work then?

Well webmasters have long been able to add a Google search box to their sites and even earn a small amount of cash for doing so (through the Adsense program).

Now this feature has been evolved to allow you the website owner to control the type of search results returned. You can specify what sites you want results from, what order/bias if any, and whether or not to add "filler" resulst from the web, once your selection of resources are exhausted.

For example, take my recent dating site project: pebblesonthebeach.com. Any search from here I might want to return results from my site first, then from other dating sites that I like, then maybe other Spain portals and finally whatever else the web throws up.

Plus I can earn revenue from it!

Will it be any good?

Dunno yet, as traditional search boxes have not yielded dramatic riches for me personally. But I like the idea. Read Jensense about this subject, she knows what she is talking about.

I will try it out soon on pebbles and report back.

No comments: